Chauvin has pleaded not guilty to second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter charges. In addition, a charge of third-degree murder that was dismissed in October is now in limbo after an appeals court ruled the trial judge should reconsider a motion to reinstate it, which could lead to a delay in the start of the trial.
Jury selection in the trial began Tuesday at the Hennepin County Government Center and is expected to last about three weeks. Opening statements are expected to start no earlier than March 29, followed by testimony over the next two to four weeks.
Nine potential jurors were interviewed over the course of about seven hours by Judge Peter Cahill, a prosecutor, and defense attorney. As of Tuesday afternoon, two men and one woman had been selected to serve as jurors during the trial.
Court was scheduled to resume with a motions hearing at 9 a.m. ET Wednesday. Jury selection continues at 10 a.m. ET.
How jury selection goes
In a case with so much media attention, it may be impossible to find a jury that hasn’t heard about Floyd’s death. But the goal is not to find ignorant people; it’s to find jurors who can be impartial and are open to hearing the evidence and the law.
“No matter what a potential juror has seen or heard, can they set that aside and base their decision on evidence in court and the law the judge gives them?” said Mary Moriarty, the former chief Hennepin County public defender.
Starting Tuesday, prospective jurors who completed the questionnaire were questioned one by one in court in a process known as voir dire. The juror’s name, address and other information is kept anonymous.
The judge first asks questions of the prospective juror, followed by the defense and then the prosecution. If the defense or prosecution believes the person cannot be impartial in the case, they can ask the court to dismiss the person for cause. Each side has unlimited challenges for cause.
The process continues until the court decides on 14 people — split into 12 jurors and two alternates, Hennepin County Court Director of Communications Spenser Bickett told CNN.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the jurors selected included two White men — one in his 20s or 30s and the other in his 30s — along with a woman of color in her 20s or 30s.
The defense used a peremptory strike on a Hispanic woman and on a Hispanic man, leading the state to raise a Batson challenge that the strikes were race-based. The defense said the strikes were race neutral, and the judge agreed with that reasoning.
The prosecution used a peremptory strike on a White man in his 50s or 60s who said people should not second-guess police officers’ decisions.
Finally, three prospective jurors were excused by the judge: one woman for saying she could not be impartial, a man who was worried the trial would affect his work as an accountant and a 19-year-old man because he said he’d treat police officer witnesses differently than others.
Who’s who in the trial
Two other officers, including Chauvin, then responded to the scene and struggled to get Floyd into the vehicle, the complaint states. Chauvin allegedly pulled Floyd to the ground in a prone position and placed his knee on Floyd’s neck and head. His knee remained there even as Floyd pleaded, “I can’t breathe,” said “I’m about to die” and ultimately stopped breathing, the complaint says. He was pronounced dead at a hospital shortly after.
Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao, all former Minneapolis Police officers, were also on scene with Chauvin and are charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter. They have pleaded not guilty.
Due to limits on courtroom space because of the pandemic, their joint trial was moved to this summer. They will not testify in Chauvin’s trial, but their names, statements and actions will be heavily featured.
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison’s office says the three main presenting prosecution attorneys are Jerry Blackwell, Matthew Frank, and Steve Schleicher.
An explanation of the charges
Chauvin is charged with second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter.
The second-degree unintentional murder charge alleges that Chauvin killed Floyd “without intent” while he committed or attempted to commit felony third-degree assault, which is defined as inflicting “substantial” bodily harm. The charge is punishable by up to 40 years in prison.
The second-degree manslaughter charge alleges that Chauvin caused Floyd’s death by “his culpable negligence, creating an unreasonable risk and consciously took the chances of causing death or great bodily harm.” “Culpable negligence” is essentially a heightened form of ordinary negligence, Moriarty explained. The charge is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
On Monday, the state asked an appeals court to stop jury selection until the charges issue is resolved, but Judge Cahill said he would continue with jury selection unless otherwise told.
How the pandemic changed the trial
The possibility of a courtroom Covid-19 outbreak looms, so the court has taken a number of steps to prevent one.
Everyone who attends the Chauvin trial will be required to distance from others and wear a mask, although witnesses and attorneys may remove their masks during testimony and other court statements. Plexiglass has been installed around the courtroom as well.
In addition, the trial will be livestreamed for those not able to attend, a first for a Minnesota criminal trial.
During the trial, the jurors will be partially sequestered during the day but will be allowed to return to their homes at night. They will be fully sequestered during deliberations.
How police are preparing
Given the unrest and looting that ensued when Floyd died, local and state authorities are taking major security measures. The Hennepin County Government Center is now surrounded by fencing and barricades, and the building will be empty aside from those participating in Chauvin’s trial and approved staff.
Mayor Jacob Frey said the city is preparing for potential unrest with “painstaking detail.” He said up to 2,000 National Guard members will be prepared to respond along with up to 1,100 law enforcement pooled from 12 other jurisdictions.
“Safety is a top priority through this very difficult time in our city,” Frey said last month. “There’s great frustration, there’s anxiety, and there’s trauma. We anticipate that trauma increasing as we get closer to jury deliberations.”
Minnesota law enforcement leaders last month outlined their plan to work together to provide security during the trial in what they called “Operation Safety Net.”
State Patrol Col. Matt Langer said the goal is to protect lawful protests and demonstrations while preventing violence, property damage, fires and looting.
“Planning for this operation occurred starting back in July,” Langer said. “It occurred in earnest all summer.”
Operation Safety Net is organized into four phases, according to Langer: (1) Planning and preparation, (2) jury selection; (3) closing arguments, deliberations and a verdict; and (4) demobilization.
Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said the unified command will help everyone stay on the same page.
“It will allow all of us to be able to respond metro and region wide, if needed, and it will allow great cooperation coordination and communication,” he said.
Minnesota Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said last month the actions were all precautionary.
“As of right now, we do not have any current, actionable intelligence about groups planning to come here to disrupt the trial or to cause disorder,” Harrington said. “We are exercising this unified command out of caution.”
CNN’s Chris Boyette, Aaron Cooper, Omar Jimenez and Brad Parks contributed to this report.