The word Gomukha derives from the Sanskrit word, which means Cow Face. The Cow face pose stretches the ankles, hips and thighs, shoulders, armpits and triceps, and chest. Gomukhasana is an extremely difficult pose for those people who have tight-shoulder, who aren’t able to hook their fingers together. In Yoga Poses, Gomukhasana is one of the difficult poses, but regular practice makes it easy and beneficial to health.
How to do Gomukhasana?
- Sit in a crossed leg position, right leg over left.
- Spread the legs as far apart as possible without bending the knees.
- Bend the left knee and place the bottom of the left foot against the inner left thigh.
Bring the left heel as close to the perineum as possible. Keep the left knee on the floor.
- Grasp the right foot with the left hand and keeping the foot on the floor place the heel of the right foot against the front-left portion of the left buttock. The right knee should be directly on top of the left knee.
- Inhale slowly and raise the right hand over the head and bend the right elbow. Reach behind the back with the left hand and clasp the fingers of both hands (as “S” shaped lock).
Hold the posture as long as you can comfortably hold the inhale breath. Exhale slowly and then repeat the posture reversing the arms and legs.
This posture stretches the arms, upper back, chest, and sides of the chest and abdomen. As the shoulder blades are stretched backward the lungs are expanded and as the abdominal muscles are lifted the stomach is toned. It helps to relieve neck strain, backache, and tight shoulders. The hands, fingers, and wrists are strengthened.
One can hold the posture for thirty second to one minute and repeat this posture for 2-3 times on each side.
Benefits of Yoga Poses – Gomukhasana – The Cow Face Pose:
- Eases Stress and Mental tension
- Makes the body flexible
- Strengthens thighs muscles and the hip joint
- Opens up the chest
- Relieve tightness in your hips and lower back pain
Link to related articles and books:
- YOGA related books and materials ( Yoga mat and blocks)
- YOGA related articles-Bhujangasan – The Cobra Pose
Image credit to: www.clipdealer.com